Five currant buns in the baker's shop,
Big and round with a cherry on top,
Along came Mary with a penny one day,
Bought a currant bun and took it away.
Check out this recipe for currant buns as good as those in the baker's shop!
- 1/2 cup apple juice, heated to just below the simmering point
- 1 Tbls of dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups unbleached white flour or bread flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup currants
- Cool the apple juice to lukewarm and stir in yeast.
- In a large bowl, mix together honey and oil.
- Stir in the yeast mixture.
- Add oatmeal and mix thoroughly.
- Beat in eggs and then let set for 10 minutes.
- Slowly add the whole wheat flour, stirring vigorously.
- Work in enough of the white flour to make a dough that leaves the side of the bowl clean.
- Knead in the salt and the currants
- Continue to knead the dough either in the bowl or on a floured board till the dough becomes elastice. About 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a clean oiled bowl, roll in the bowl to oil the top.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until the dough doubles in bulk About 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and let rise again to double it's size. About 30 minutes.
- Divide into 12 balls and put them on two oiled large steel baking sheets.
- Use a sharp knife and slash a superficial X across the top of the ball.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place till double their size.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Place a pan of water on the bottom shelf in the oven.
- Bake rolls for 40 minutes, or until the buns sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove to a rack and brush with milk. Allow to cool under a damp cloth.
What delicious nursery rhyme menu items do you have?
We know there are fabulously creative cooks out there who can whip up a delightful nursery rhyme dish! We'd love to hear about your menu and recipe ideas, so please share with all of us. Everyone would love to have a great menu for a their successful baby shower.
Return to Baby Shower Menu from Currant Buns