Hey Diddle Diddle
Hey diddle diddle,
The cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon!
These scrumptious little fruit pies can be made with any dried fruit.
Try Moonpies with dried apples, figs, apricots or dates, by themselves or combined with the apples in the recipe below.
Our Moonpies can be made a day or two ahead.
- 4 cups dried apples
- Sugar to taste
- Ground cinnamon to taste
- Pie crust dough
- Place apples in a saucepan with just enough water to prevent scorching
- Cook over medium heat until apples are soft.
- Run apples through a food mill.
- Stir in sugar and cinnamon to your taste.
- Put apples in a sealed container and let cool. (can make the day before)
- Heat oven to 400 F degrees
- Roll a small piece of the pie crust dough into a 4 inch circle.
- Fold back a third of the circle and mark with a pastry cutter, then open again.
- Add some of the fruit filling.
- Fold dough cirlce double, then trim around.
- Prick moonpie with a fork.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Brush moonpies lightly with milk.
- Bake until golden brown.
What delicious nursery rhyme menu items do you have?
We know there are fabulously creative cooks out there who can whip up a delightful nursery rhyme dish! We'd love to hear about your menu and recipe ideas, so please share with all of us. Everyone would love to have a great menu for a their successful baby shower.
Return to Baby Shower Menu from Moonpies